Saturday 8 June 2019

IRELAND BECKONS

It's time to call out my new Thorn Nomad and start a fresh journey. Shortly I will be in Galway on Ireland's west coast. I plan to cycle along Connemara's coastline into Mayo, then head north into Sligo and on to Donegal. I hope to smell the sea as I cycle and feel the fresh Atlantic air. I want to see currachs, fishing boats unique to the west coast of Ireland and Slieve League in Donegal, almost three times higher than the Cliffs of Moher. I want also to reach Malin Head, Ireland's most northerly point and I hope to learn a few words of Irish Gaelic.

This will be the Nomad's first long journey. Here is a photo. It was taken on the Cobbly Way beside the River Avon in South Devon. It does not look special except it seems to have no gears. There are 14 inside the rear wheel hub made by Rolhoff. The gear changing is on the right handlebar and is really easy. The bike is made by Thorn Cycles of Bridgwater and is built for long distance touring.
 
 

 
Ireland has a magnetic pull for me. Last year I cycled around its south and south west coasts. Previously I cycled from Lands End to John O' Groats via Ireland and another trip was from Devon to Glasgow via Sligo. I don't have a favourite place but have many memorable moments and often they are associated with the weather. Perhaps last year describes it best for while cycling around the Sheeps Head in a gale I found it extremely hard work doing 4mph going downhill in bottom gear.  Three days later I was on the Ring of Kerry in the most glorious sunshine. Apparently the storm reached 100mph during the night. Please check my Twitter as well if you follow my journey
.

No comments:

Post a Comment