Sunday 10 June 2018

A BIKE RIDE TO FIND #30 DAYS WILD IN WEST DEVON

Yesterday I cycled 106 miles as I wanted to explore some of West Devon. This area has a timeless quality about it. The leafy lanes are ideal for cycling, the villages are delightfully rustic and the countryside is plentiful for wildlife as well as good livestock farming.  I find a fuel station at Monkokehampton, long since derelict



Since it started, I have signed up every June for 30 Days Wild as this gives me added interest on my bike rides. I want to show some images of the area.  It is north of Okehampton. On my ride up over Dartmoor, I crossed the River Tavy, good for sea trout and some salmon.  I seem to have heard more cuckoos in the south west this year than for a long time and another called today. As I peddled out of Monkokehampton  I avoided running over a lizard while a yellow hammer swooped down in front of me.  It is easy to miss these sightings but even better to see them.

Here, at Iddesleigh is one my favourite pubs.  A good pub does not need smart signs but it helps to have a good understanding of farming. It is also Michael Morpurgo's local pub, author of War Horse

The Duke of York, Iddesleigh
Do you see the date on the lantern and clock behind it on this house close to the Duke?

Iddesleigh
Meanwhile back at Monkokehampton, there are ancient farm buildings and road signs



 
 
At Exbourne the Burrow is an unusual community shop/PO/café which seems to be the hub of the local community. The cyclists were on a morning ride from Okehampton
 
The Burrow, Exbourne

My route followed National Cycle Route 27, Devon C2C, via Okehampton to Hatherleigh where I turned right and there is a loop ride to bring you back to Okehampton.  It was at Hatherleigh that I met 8 cyclists and we had each reached half way on our journeys.  They were cycling 102 miles from Ilfracombe to Plymouth in a day. We stopped briefly to swop stories.



No comments:

Post a Comment