Tuesday 24 April 2018

DINGLE PENINSULA

Every now and again, the weather here presents its little challenges. Yesterday I completely missed seeing Brandon Bay because I was in the cloud line and today my ride through North Kerry was in light rain. However it did enable me to stop in a bar at Annascaul and have a lively chat about walking in the area. I have spent three days on the peninsula and today arrived at Kilkee.
At Inch I was stopped by a couple from Arkansas in the USA. They had seen me two days previously and wanted to know all about my ride. Here is their picture of me



Inch Beach
I have seen several people on hikes on the peninsulas. The trails seem to be well waymarked and people are given choices ranging from short loop walks to long distance trails that take several days.
On Slea Head it is possible to visit several sites of historical interest. The Great Famine in the 1840's was a period of devastation where many people starved to death or from disease and large numbers emigrated.  I visited Slea Head Famine Cottages where some old buildings have been restored as a memorial. Here is an image


Farmer's Cottage, Slea Head Memorial Centre
I met a couple from Rhode Island, USA who were researching their family history of the Moriarty's. The weather was sunny on Slea Head so here are a few images taken from some of its little bye-lanes


Ventry Bay
The Three Sisters
Kilmalkedar
I am continuing to put my daily maps and some images on twitter. Tomorrow I am cycling north on Co Clare's coast

No comments:

Post a Comment