Friday 20 April 2018

GOODBYE CORK, HELLO KERRY

As an expedition, I have completed 555 miles and climbed 31,272ft.  I have finished the south coast and four of the five peninsulas in the South West. It is Dingle tomorrow. I have experienced extreme weather from fierce Atlantic gales to glorious sunshine and there are still 1,100 miles to go.


It is not an expedition though. This is a journey that connects all the places I have been to previously in Ireland. Cycling and hiking are the best ways to experience the countryside. Both meander slowly in the great outdoors unhindered by the speed of a car so that you see and hear everything. I am putting my daily maps and many images on twitter. My maps show the route, distance, climbing and my slow speed. Here are a few images of Beara and Kerry


Trawlers in Castletownbere sheltering from a storm
An abandoned fishing smack near Lauragh on Beara
Portmagee evening, Kerry
Darrynane Bay, Kerry
Traffic Congestion, on cycle route between Cahersiveen and Kells
I saw my first bluebells three days ago. The patchwork of fields and hedgerows are coming alive with the green shoots of Spring. My bike is looking very weather beaten but I had to put sun cream today for the first time. There was time for a chat with the shepherd and he told me that the oldest lamb in this flock was 12 days old.

5 comments:

  1. I hope you enjoyed your time in Kerry, Graham. I will be following your updates with interest. Safe journey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Graham, I am soooo jealous that I have to sit in my office building whilst you are having such a gorgeous adventure. I am following your blog. Do you remember: exactly four years ago we started on our trip through southern France in Avignon. Which was a gorgeous adventure, too. Keep peddling! xx Dagmar

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! What lovely comments, thank you. Dagmar and I cycled through Ireland 3 years ago and that too was a fantastic journey. I am looking forward to revisiting The North West Cycle Trail in Sligo and Donegal that we visited then

    ReplyDelete
  4. Look fantastic Graham; you are lucky to have so many long distance off road routes tofollow. Wish we had more of them here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Turlough. It was about 14 years ago when I cycled Lon Las Cymru. This is a 250 mile journey through the centre of Wales on minor roads and tracks. It was my first experience of the National Cycle Network. It was a stunning cycle journey and I resolved to explore more of the NCN. I have never been disappointed. It finds the best scenery in the locality and is mostly on quiet roads with few motorists. When I cycle through Ireland, the NCN exists in the north and, in the south, I try to follow the same principles and have found many terrific places

      Delete