Monday 16 April 2018

MIZEN AND SHEEP'S HEAD

The weather has changed. I have just discovered that the beautiful South West of Ireland also has lots of rain. Sometimes it is windy too. Undaunted my philosophy is that there is no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothes.
I leaves Mizen Head to take a tiny lane along the north coast that undulates over the rugged landscape. Occasionally there are houses nestled into hollows looking north towards Sheep's Head.  It is raining hard and I am finding it difficult seeing ahead. I round a bend to find a herd of cattle blocking the lane. I cycle slowly towards them and all but two amble out of the way. The other two refuse to move so I gently weave between them hoping not to receive a kick. Four miles further on, I see 4 cyclists huddled under a tree. "Not great weather for cycling" I call and they agree. After two hours, I reach a coffee shop and go in leaving water all over the floor. The rain stops and the sun tries to appear
The forecast for the following day is 45 mph winds and up to 50mm rain. I had planned to cycle to Sheep's Head but wondered if this is a good idea. I go anyway. The wind chases me for the first two hours and I arrive at Durrus wondering why I was fussing.
After a welcome coffee, the route changes direction. This time I am cycling into the wind and it is strong. I grip the handlebars tightly and resolve not to get blown over. I decide to find a B+B early and discover an old farmhouse at Kilcrohane. "This is just perfect" I say and gorge some sandwiches offered by the host for lunch.
I decide that the Sheep's Head must be seen and my host warns against it but I go anyway. The wind roars through the trees and power lines are waving around. I can see the waves from the sea below slamming the shore angrily. Undaunted I keep going until 400 metres from the summit the wind becomes too strong. Reluctantly I turn back only to find a section of road going downhill where the fiercest wind slows me to 4 mph in low gear. I pull into the bar in Kilcrohane and savour 2 pints of Guinness

No comments:

Post a Comment