Thursday 12 April 2018

JOURNEY THROUGH THE SOUTH EAST

It was Colm who sorted me out at the end of Day 3. Colm was a farmer. He was dark haired, slim and looked about 40. I had taken a wrong turning on a rural lane and had come to a junction that had no signs. I did not know which way to go. A big Massey Ferguson tractor pulling a livestock trailer arrived and I stopped it to ask directions.
"Where do you want to go?" asked Colm. "Ballycotton" I replied. "Ah" said Colm "It is about 3 miles as the crow flies but the road is much longer than that. Follow me as I am going in that direction". The tractor set off at 10 mph and I was fine so long as there were no hills. After a while, Colm stopped. "I must check my bull as I don't want him escaping". Having seen a bull coming towards me on a similarly sized Dartmoor lane about 3 months ago, I was quite keen not to encounter a second one. Colm checked the door fixings and said they were fine. Up a hill he went and I could not keep up but he waited at the top. Colm did as his word and I went on my way. Moreover he found me a very comfy B+B for the night.
I hear tales of other cyclists on this journey. The Copper Coast Route is a killer for many. It is stunningly beautiful and reminds me of Cornwall with its craggy coastline and history of copper mining. I am told cycling has become hugely popular in Ireland. It is possible to avoid the Copper Coast Route and take the newly opened Waterford Greenway that links to Dungarven. This is 45km long and family friendly.
My first day in Wexford, I followed Eurovelo 1 which was impressively signed. It changed to Route 4 and then 3 to the border with Co Cork when the signs stopped.
I am trying to follow the coastline on this trip. So often beautiful places have been developed into holiday destinations and have as a consequence lost their magic. Not so in Ireland. I have already found many beautiful bays, wildlife friendly estuaries and plenty of little harbours with fishermen hard at work.
Tonight at the end of day 4, I am in Kinsale having covered 218 miles and climbed 11,200ft. Kinsale is the start of the Wild Atlantic Way and I will be following this and taking a few detours. Here are some images
Artwork on a shipwreck in Bannow Bay
Hook Lighthouse


Dungarven harbour





No comments:

Post a Comment