Thursday 20 May 2010

ORKNEY

I had a break of two days in Thurso and have now been joined by my daughter, Sandie. We caught the ferry to Burwick, the entry to Orkney for the North Sea Cycle Route and its most Southerly terminal. Tonight we are in Kirkwall. The route crossed the Churchill Barriers and these wrecked ships can still be seen. There are so many different species of birds here and it is a joy to see and hear.

On my second day in Thurso, I visited Caithness Horizons, a beautifully designed heritage centre. Much of this is devoted to wildlife. For me, there is a timely reminder why I am doing this challenge. It simply says......."We must care for and sustain our natural heritage if we want it to sustain us".


Tomorrow, we cycle 60 miles around Orkney Mainland and return here to Kirkwall. On Saturday night, we catch the overnight ferry to the Shetland Isles.

No comments:

Post a Comment